Apart from antibiotic resistance, I am also more generally interested in how, for example, chemicals can perturb microbial ecosystems, how that affects ecosystem services, and how bacteria evolve to cope with pollutant load. To this end, I have studied the distribution of detoxification systems in marine environments, and how pharmaceutical pollution have affected lake sediment communities. I have also contributed to a report on novel techniques to assess toxicant effects in aquatic environments, and studied periphyton communities (often used in toxicity testing) through metagenomics.
Open questions of interest
- How can we link perturbation of a microbial community to genetic changes?
- How large disturbances are needed to cause certain degrees of effects on microbial species loss, loss of key ecosystem functionality, and/or loss of ecosystem services?
- How do dormant species and the “rare biosphere” contribute to the stability of microbial communities?
- What is the role of mobile DNA in resilience of microbial ecosystems to perturbations?
- In which circumstances can evolutionary rescue play a role in mitigating disturbances on microbial communities?
- Bengtsson-Palme J, Alm Rosenblad M, Molin M, Blomberg A: Metagenomics reveals that detoxification systems are underrepresented in marine bacterial communities. BMC Genomics, 15, 749 (2014). doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-15-749 [Paper link]
- Bengtsson-Palme J, Boulund F, Fick J, Kristiansson E, Larsson DGJ: Shotgun metagenomics reveals a wide array of antibiotic resistance genes and mobile elements in a polluted lake in India. Frontiers in Microbiology, 5, 648 (2014). doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00648 [Paper link]
- Wernersson A-S, Carere M, Maggi C, Tusil P, Soldan P, James A, Sanchez W, Dulio V, Broeg K, Reifferscheid G, Buchinger S, Maas H, Van Der Grinten E, O’Toole S, Ausili A, Manfra L, Marziali L, Polesello S, Lacchetti I, Mancini L, Lilja K, Linderoth M, Lundeberg T, Fjällborg B, Porsbring T, Larsson DGJ, Bengtsson-Palme J, Förlin L, Kienle C, Kunz P, Vermeirssen E, Werner I, Robinson CD, Lyons B, Katsiadaki I, Whalley C, den Haan K, Messiaen M, Clayton H, Lettieri T, Negrão Carvalho R, Gawlik BM, Hollert H, Di Paolo C, Brack W. Kammann U, Kase R: The European technical report on aquatic effect-based monitoring tools under the water framework directive. Environmental Sciences Europe, 27, 7 (2015). doi: 10.1186/s12302-015-0039-4 [Paper link]
- Sanli K, Bengtsson-Palme J, Nilsson RH, Kristiansson E, Alm Rosenblad M, Blanck H, Eriksson KM: Metagenomic sequencing of marine periphyton: Taxonomic and functional insights into biofilm communities. Frontiers in Microbiology, 6, 1192 (2015). doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.01192 [Paper link]